Monday, March 8, 2010

Words.


A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around Wellington and as I strolled along one of my favorite parts of town, Oriental Parade, there out of nowhere stood a giant, white, magnetic cube. On each side of this cube were hundreds of tiny magnetic words. We've all seen them. Quite frankly they aren't that interesting & can actually, in my opinion, be a bit tacky when scattered about on one's personal fridge. But this is the perfect example of how something can be ordinary in one setting and extraordinary in another. When you place something like this out in public, for anyone and everyone to use freely to 'express' him or herself, it would be nearly impossible for it not to be interesting. As I stood there examining all of the words & reading what people who had visited earlier put together, more came to do the same. The words were constantly moving, sentences or phrases were changing, some were serious, others were funny, and no two were the same. I love that we are all different. That no two people can bring to the table in the same exact way. Definitely a cool aspect of life & the big white cube with the tiny magnetic words reminded me how much I appreciate it. Here are a few shots...

Love, Rachel







1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the "It will all be OK" fence and similar work by Knitsch and Stix - http://outdoorknit.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete